19 November 2010

{Pastimes}


This past week Tim and I decided, on a whim, that it was time to become a little more technologically advanced and join the world of Skyping. We were sitting together a few evenings ago, enjoying our much more rare just -the -two -of -us times, discussing our holidays plans, and Tim decided he should run to Walmart and get a camera for our computer. Yes, our computer is "old" enough not to have one built in.

We were prompted to take this step because we have been so excited for Tim's parents to meet their new little grandson. We are super excited that they are planning to join us for Thanksgiving. With the weather the way it is, though, there is the unfortunate possibility that they will be unable to make the drive. Skype has been a tremendous way to fill the gap. It was so sweet to see Tim's sheer joy as he showed his parents Oliver for the first time. There's just really nothing to top moments like that in life! Oliver has since met two sets of aunts and uncles this way, which was very special as well.

Speaking of aunts, tomorrow Oliver will meet his Auntie B. for the first time. We are super excited to see her! We have been anticipating this visit for a long time now. I am looking forward to sister time for a week. We plan to pull out our projects while Oliver naps. I realized this morning as I was thinking about what I would like to work on, that it has been YEARS since we have had an opportunity to create together. Years!! Growing up it was a daily pleasure. Such fun.



I will be working on Oliver's baby quilt. I have given up hand-quilting it and am resorting to my machine. I want him to be able to use it this winter, if you know what I mean? Beth will no doubt be buried in cards. I know I'm biased, but she is a master in my mind. I was recently tickled pink to receive a "just because" package in the mail of cards she'd made with me in mind. There is always a dilemma with her cards... I want to send them to special people in my life because they're so beautiful, I also want to keep them because they're so beautiful. I usually break down and send them, and am happy I did, but there are a few I've not been able to part with, and I've had them for a couple of years!




My sister has become enamored with owls lately. I thought it was just her, but I've since discovered owls everywhere I go. They are very cute, but I have to ask myself what made them popular all of a sudden? Trends are a great mystery to me! Does someone at the top of the fashion industry keep a hat on their desk with little folded pieces of paper in it? Did they pull out "owls" at the beginning of 2010? Regardless, Oliver and I are going to welcome her with a little owl party tomorrow. I can't wait to surprise her with this cookie project! Which reminds me... I need to get almonds and chocolate chips.



Speaking of grocery stores, I was at WinCo the other day and was getting positively giddy in the bulk section. Christmas candy, nuts, fruit, chocolate is everywhere, not to mention pumpkin filling, cream cheese, sugar, sprinkles, and frosting. I wanted to take it all home with me, turn on Christmas music and bake, and bake, and bake! It didn't help that we woke up to snow yesterday with another skiff this morning. Tim and I already decided this morning that we can't wait until the day after Thanksgiving to start listening to Christmas music. I'll let you in on a little secret... (we already have some of our Christmas bows hung outside).

While I was at WinCo, I restocked our supply of tea. It was such fun. I am hosting the Christmas tea for my mom's group the first week of December! I'm so excited! I had to find a tea that would be perfect. As I was finishing my perusal of the shelves, I found "Constant Comment", a Bigelow blend. With orange and spices it sounds like the perfect Christmas tea and with a name like that I couldn't pass it up for a group of ladies.




Well, I have lots of company to prepare for and my house isn't ready. I wish you a blessed Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. The card made by the beloved Auntie B. that you were able to part with and sent us is a treasure indeed. Crowned by your sweet handwriting.

    Such lovely days these are for you...love your excitment for upcoming celebrations...starting with the owls.

    Love that you have a blog. Really, really!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing your excitement for Bethany's visit, quality craft time with her, and your upcoming holiday projects and events! It's such a treat to have this window into your world. :-) I nearly called you earlier today, but remembered that B. was arriving and didn't want to interrupt all the sweet catching up and baby-talk you two are doubtless enjoying. I hope her visit is just lovely! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete