07 May 2011

{ Legacy of Faith }

While I was growing up, one of my favorite things to do was read missionary biographies. They were so inspiring. Being exposed to the lives of these great men and women had a significant impact on my spiritual journey. I remember I was fascinated, particularly, with stories and missionaries of China. Among my favorites: Hudson Taylor, Gladys Aylward, Eric Liddell. I watched The Inn of the Sixth Happiness and Chariots of Fire many, many times. I always felt that if I were to go as a missionary anywhere, it would be to China. I read a lot growing up, but it was the missionary stories that have stayed most vividly in my memory. Other favorites were Amy Carmichael in India, Jim Elliot in Ecuador, Mary Slessor in Calabar (Nigeria), Bruce Olson in South America, and Darlene Deibler Rose in Indonesia. I thought about working for Wycliffe, since language fascinates me and Bible translation is so amazing. I came close to attending Ecola Bible College. Well, God had another, grander purpose for my life, and His plan is always the best!


My journey toward marriage and motherhood does include a missionary story, in a roundabout way. In 2006 I was introduced to a dear missionary couple, Bruno and Marlys Deleeuw. Bruno is Dutch. Marlys is Canadian.

The story of how I met them is really quite amazing. I had just started college and was living away from home for the first time. My grandpa lived across town from me, and he would always talk about this wonderful dutch man who met for coffee at MacDonalds with several other retirees on weekday mornings. My grandpa invited me to have lunch with him and the Deleeuws one afternoon, only I didin't know their name at the time. Had I known, I may have put together who they were before meeting them.

See, I was was reading a fascinating missionary book at the time, in fact I finished it the morning of our meeting. It is called Lords of the Earth by Don Richardson. When we sat down to lunch I quickly had no doubt that they were Christians. They began talking about their life, living around the world. They mentioned Irian Jaya and Papua New Guinea.

"I just finished reading a book that takes place there," I said.

Marlys' eyes lit up and she asked me what it was called. I told her. They both looked at each other and smiled and Marlys just pointed at Bruno and said, "This is Bruno. He is the one who worked with Stan Dale in that book. He's the other missionary."

To say I was speechless would be an understatement! It felt like it took my mind a good five minutes to compute the information. I couldn't believe I was living in the same town, having lunch at the same table with the couple who were a part of the amazing story I had been so inspired with over the past several weeks. At best I had always imagined how neat it would be to hear a true pioneer missionary speak at a conference or something big and significant like that, but I certainly didn't think I would have the privilege to have a personal and ongoing relationship. God certainly grants wishes in amazing ways!

That meeting began a special relationship that continues today. They took me under their wing and became surrogate grandparents and a home-away-from-home while I was in college. They pray for me everyday, which means more to me than anything.

Then the story got even more interesting. They also knew Tim. They had been friends for over 10 years, attended the same church, prayed for him, too. I remember hearing his name when I would visit them. He was on deployment at the time and they read me some of his emails. When his book came out, I remember looking through it. In 2008, they encouraged Tim to meet me. He liked that idea. I was supposed to have dinner with all of them at their home, not knowing I was being set up! When the day came, however, Marlys was sick and had to postpone our dinner, as they were heading to Canada for a couple of weeks. Tim didn't want to wait that long, so we met on our own.... and the rest is history. In 2010 we got married and they were there.

{ This is one of our most favorite pictures from our wedding day }



This week, they are off to Canada, where they will meet up with their granddaughter to fly across the world to Indonesia. Amazingly, Bruno is making the journey back to Irian Jaya as the last remaining pioneer missionary for the 50 year jubilee celebration of the work begun there so many years ago. Bruno is in his 80s and not in good health, but his love for the Lord and his passion for ministry is alive and well. When I talked to Marlys a few days ago, she was busy packing. Bruno was brushing up on his Yali. He will be speaking twice.

When I visited my former church recently, the church my parents and the Deleeuws attend, also where Tim and I were married, I saw Bruno in one of the Sunday School classes. He was listening attentively and with obvious excitement about the Bible. It was a beautiful picture for me of the living and beautiful faith I belong to. Even a man who has been a Christian for decades, who has served as a missionary and later as a pastor is still learning about God, is still growing in his faith.

I know the years are limited that we will have to spend with Bruno and Marlys, but I'm so glad we will spend eternity together, serving the same God forever and loving Him together.

1 comment:

  1. I overheard your mom tell this story and was awed at such an amazing thing! How God's ways aren't ours, huh?! Thanks for posting it (and a little about what Bruno and his wife are doing right now!). I loved all your details and hearing it from your perspective too!

    Not until I read what you wrote about how you've read a lot of books but the ones that have stuck most in your memory, etc. are the ones about missionaries and Christians, did I realize that is the same for me! How strange!!! Perhaps, that's one way God is able to use His people in after they die, through their stories and books in AND throughout our lives! My favorite missionaries were Mary Slessor, Sensei (Irene Webster Smith), Hudson Taylor, and Bruce Olson! I absolutely love Chariots of Fire ... what a story! I only wish they would have told more of Eric Liddell's story.

    Well, thanks and if you can, keep us updated on how Bruno and Marlys' trip went! =)

    ReplyDelete