Across our neighborhood this afternoon, through an open window, I heard the oh so familiar sounds of someone practicing a violin. Obviously a beginner. My mind flashed back to those many hours I spent as a young girl in my bedroom, literally scratching out my lessons and dreaming of sounding good. I remembered my admonition to parents when I was giving lessons, not to judge anything for a year. Violins are one of those instruments that require extreme patience and a very diligent training of the ear. They say it's the hardest instrument to learn. I don't know. Every instrument seems intimidating!
I think I was supposed to hear that student this afternoon, because for the first time in over three years I was motivated to get my violin out and look at it. Confession: Tim has still never heard me play. It's sad, but I stopped playing when I no longer had a piano in the house to tune it to. It's a little embarrassing to admit, but I can't just pull the notes out of the air and tune it that way. That ability is sorely lacking in my violin related gifts. However, tonight that dilemma was solved with a complete "aha" moment... find an online tuner. Everything is available online. Sure enough!
Now I'm so excited to get back to playing. There are lots of cobwebs to dust off, but that's okay. It will be interesting to see what Oliver thinks of it all. He loves music and has been fascinated by the instruments he's watched being played, but will he like it when it's me? Our family cat used to run terrified from the room or stand outside the closed door to my room and yowl. We'll see what happens, but I'm looking forward to inviting music back into my days.
I am so happy that you are playing again!
ReplyDeleteAnd so very happy that Tim and Oliver will get to hear you play!
Music is such an important part of our lives:)
What sweet inspiration! I hope Oliver likes it... I am sure he will, and I know your dear husband will absolutely love watching and hearing you play!! =) I've actually been longing to pick up playing the piano again... maybe someday we'll have one and I can! =)
ReplyDeleteThoroughly enjoy the new music! ;)