Since becoming a mom, I've had to readjust my expectations. That is obvious, I know, but it is so much easier said than done, especially when you're talking to me. I will readily admit that I am OCD and perfectionistic more often than I should be. Well, now that I have two kids, I am readjusting yet again. It's been hard. Really hard. Not only do I want a clean house, but I want time to myself. I want time to myself I can count on! I am realizing that too often this look at my life here on High Street is a little too peaches and cream. I don't often let anyone see that I fall a part. That I shed tears again and again because I'm so frustrated. This morning, when I was tempted to give into that frustration again, God helped me see that I need to readjust not only my expectations, but also my definition of me as a good mom. My definition too often includes unattainable goals. Today I am seeing instead that as long as my kids are fed and napped, snuggled and read to, diapers changed and clothes cleaned, loved and validated I am a good mom. And a good day as their mom is when I love and serve their dad and spend time with my Savior. A good day might also mean I sweep the floors and do the dishes, but then again it might not. And that's okay.
{ I found this sign a few weeks ago. It is my daily reminder in my kitchen }


Love that sign...and your honesty here. Dirty oven and sticky floors regardless, you are an amazing mom. I think you're going to have to give me a talking-to in a few months (says the girl who just spent 2 1/2 days cleaning her kitchen...hello OCD!!!).
ReplyDeleteWhat a heart-touching post Anna! Thank you so much for your honesty and sharing what God is doing in your life... it's a great encouragement to me!!! I too want happy, loved kids and husband! (along with a clean house, clean floors, clean microwave, clean laundry... lol, trying to find the right balance is so hard tho and I can't even imagine what it's going to be like after Baby#2 gets here!)
ReplyDeleteLove your heart and your example!! Have a lovely week!
This is so very true. You have to let go of so many expectations as a mom and just be. Life passes by so very darn quick and you will never ever ever regret not sweeping your floor or folding your laundry because you were reading 15 board books to your toddler or lying on a blanket in the back yard spending sweet time with your little ones, or just rocking a 4 year old middle child who just needed some undivided mommy time. These early years are hard and draining, some "me" time is definitely needed, but it seems to come in 10-20 minute snatches, not the 1-2 hour time stretches I keep hoping for. :) Thinking of you and hoping you know that you aren't alone.
ReplyDelete