14 July 2013

{ Surprise Party :: 1930s Style }

This past Friday night I attended a surprise party for a very sweet friend, Tessa. She turned 30 yesterday, and to celebrate a couple of her friends planned a 1930s Hollywood Glamor party to welcome her to the new decade.

A lot of us know her through church, but she is also very involved with MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) so there were a lot of ladies who knew her from there, including our very gracious hostess.

It was SO. MUCH. FUN. Seriously it was the funnest evening I have spent in a very long time. I'm not trying to imply that my life is dull and void of fun, but I am also not exaggerating when I say how much fun it was. It was due in part, I'm sure, to the fact that we all got to dress up and go out for an entire evening for girl-time, kid free. I counted 14 ladies at one point, and from what I could tell, we were all having an equally fabulous time. It was so much fun finding out about the 1930s, a time period I have never thought much about before. The hairstyles and clothes are so feminine and charmingly elegant. Other than the Great Depression, I think I would have loved living back then! Well, and heels. As pretty as they are, living in a time when women wore them all the time, even to clean house doesn't really sound appealing. We had all kicked off our shoes about an hour into the evening. The co-hostess of the evening brought her grandmother's jewels from the 1930s to decorate with. So many pearls, furs and sparkly things! The decor was white, pink and soft silver. So airy and feminine. There was plenty of delicious chocolate to eat and fun time spent learning to dance the Charleston, accompanied by music from the decade.
But enough said, here are some pictures to give you a feel for the evening. How I wished I'd brought along a better camera, but thankfully I had my phone and was able to capture a little of the elegance of the evening.

1 comment: