My birthday was perfectly happy. My husband planned a fun day and we were so blessed with beautiful weather. The first blessing was just that Tim had the day off for President's Day. It's kind of cool when the country declares a national holiday for your birthday... okay, I know it's not for me, but it worked out perfectly this year!
The best thing about the day was that we were busy and accomplished a lot, but we were able to savor each part. There was no rushing. I think that's the recipe for a perfect day.
We headed out to the mall around noon and we all shopped for my gift together. It was perfect... a new outfit and the shopping experience. Much to my husband's relief, I found what I wanted in the first store.
After we left the mall, we headed out for a drive. I didn't know the destination, but Tim had been doing research on the computer in the morning and smuggling things out to the car. We headed out toward the mountains, over the beautiful snow-covered farm fields, lit up by crystal- clear blue skies and bright sunlight.

We arrived here: Cordelia Lutheran Church. With a name like that, I immediately thought of "Anne of Green Gables" of course!


Now, I have to say that this was like a dream come true for me. Anyone who knows me well will tell you that nothing thrills me more than finding a little piece of history and getting to step into it. When we came up to this little church, Tim was busy photographing. I started exploring.

I walked all around it. I tried the windows to see if the shudders would open so I could get a look inside. They wouldn't budge, but then on the far side, one shudder was open and I got a wonderful peak inside. Tiny little benches and even a pump organ.


Tim has always wanted a pump organ. I just roll my eyes. He had told me that these little congregations that came across the country to settle the west brought organs with them, not pianos, because they didn't need to be tuned. Well, when I saw this one in the window I knew he would be excited. He was, which prompted him to try the door, novel idea, but I was afraid to hope... and found it open! I was thrilled down to my toes. It literally felt like walking into a page of history, like we had to whisper or we would interrupt the service.

There was a guest book inside and an invitation to play the pump organ. I also found a pamphlet that explained the history of this lovely little church.
"Cordelia Lutheran is the oldest Lutheran building in the state, established in 1883. The church was home to the first Swedish congregation in Idaho, organized in 1880 by Rev. Peter Carlson... The cost of the materials used in construction was $72.83.
Lumber: $31.26
Wooden flooring and ceiling: $5.45
Wood for the pews and trim: $4.50
Paint: $16.00
Broom: $0.62
Nails: $1.00
{In 1995, the church was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.}

As I posted recently, remembering back to our "January Picnic", this kind of exploring is becoming a habit with us. True to form, my husband had smuggled our picnic basket along and surprised me with it. It was too cold to eat in the church, however, so we enjoyed our snacks in the warmth of the Jeep, looking on at this beautiful little spot. I was convinced all over again that God sure blessed me with the perfect man for me!

We drove a little further on and found the old school house that served the community of 1887 until the 1940's. These are all that remain of the once-thriving community.

Our evening was punctuated by dinner at the restaurant Tim took me to on our first date, complete with Oliver watched by friends for a quiet dinner "just the two of us".
It is a birthday I will remember forever, with experiences I will always treasure.
Happy Birthday, friend. I am so glad you had a wonderful birthday. The pictures look lovely and it sounds like a perfect way for you to spend your day. Thank you for sharing your joy with your faithful blog followers.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Kristen
Nan girl that does sound like a perfectly lovely, perfectly you-ish sort of birthday. I am so glad you have such a thoughtful husband who knows so well, what makes up a perfect day for you.
ReplyDeleteI only wish we were the friends who could have had the pleasure of babysitting your dear little boy while you went out. Our turn next, please?
I"m so sorry I missed your birthday Anna! But so glad you had a wonderful day. Yay Tim. I'm so proud of him and how he treats you. Also, someday I hope to take photos half as good as his.
ReplyDeleteLove you all!
Linda