Yesterday Oliver and I made cookies together for the first time. Let me preface this by saying that it came about because his nap routine had gotten disrupted by errand running in the morning. He fell asleep in the car, then we needed to have lunch and by then he was too awake to sleep.
I was NOT a happy camper, to be honest. In an attempt to make the most of "my plans" being rearranged, I took a deep breath and dove in. I wish I could say it was magical from start to finish. In his opinion I think it was, but I have to confess by the end of the project, I was getting frustrated and overwhelmed. But on his face was sheer joy and I wish now I could have just soaked that in and appreciated this time together fully.
It is easy to paint these experiences in their rosiest light. Just show the pictures and tell the parts of the story that evoke Christmas warm and fuzzy feelings, but I am realizing that being real, letting my true mama moments be what they really are here in this spot is better.
These memories we made together are precious and I grew from the experience. I don't want ME to get in the way of US and that is a lesson I am learning every day I'm a mom.




You are a wonderful Mommy. Oliver looks so excited! And those cookies are so dear! Ha ha...I just realized that's a pun..deer. ;-P I am definitely impressed!
ReplyDelete